The greenhouse effect and global warming.
The greenhouse effect is a natural process and keeps the average global temperature around 17.C. Without it the temperature would be around -18.C.
Greenhouse gases include (Absorb infrared radiation):
We enhance the greenhouse effect by adding too much CO2 by:
- Burning fossil fuels
- Digging over soil
Therefore the average temperature keeps increasing. It this continues the following changes are possible:
- Acidification of the ocean
- Melting of polar ice caps - causes extinction of some wild plants and animals.
- A rise in sea level causing floods
- Higher temperatures and less rainfall - some crops won’t grow
- Greater rainfall and intense storms in some areas
- The life-cycles of insect pests would alter.